We welcome students with undergraduate backgrounds in Communication Sciences and Disorders as well as students with diverse educational backgrounds. Our incoming Doctor of Audiology classes are typically equally weighted between students with CSD majors and those with non-CSD majors. We value the perspective that each group of students brings to the classroom and clinic.
Applicants to the Northwestern Doctor of Audiology program must provide evidence of completion of at least one course in each of the following areas. Please note, these courses do not need to be completed prior to application to the program but must be completed prior to beginning the program. These courses may be taken at any accredited university in a face-to-face or online format. High school Advanced Placement courses and CLEP credits do not satisfy the prerequisite requirement.
All prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of B- or better.
- Biological Sciences (examples include Biology, Human Anatomy and Physiology, Neuroanatomy and Neurophysiology, Human Genetics)
- Physical Sciences (examples include Chemistry, Physics, Acoustics; a lab is not required)
- Social/Behavioral Sciences (examples include Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Education)
- Typical Language Acquisition
- Mathematics beyond college algebra (examples include Calculus, Finite Math, Statistics*)
- Statistics* (this course must be an actual statistics course and not a research methods course)
*note that a course in Statistics will meet both the Mathematics and Statistics prerequisites
- Clinical Observation Requirement While it is not necessary for students to have acquired direct clinical experiences in an Audiology clinic prior to applying to the Au.D. program, we require that all applicants observe or shadow a clinical audiologist prior to applying to the program. This experience will ensure that incoming students possess a minimum understanding of the practice of Audiology before beginning their clinical development. Successful applicants to the Au.D. program will list these experiences in their applications.